In 1910, a two-roomed school was built at Castletown, Kilflynn on a site sold by John Lynch to the Board of National Education. The price paid for the site is not recorded but local lore puts it at £12. John Lynch is the great-grandfather of Paddy Weir.
This new school replaced a one-roomed thatched school built in 1821, also on the land of the Lynch family but situated to the west of the Catholic Church. The school was destroyed by fire in 1908 according to local lore. However, there is no documentary evidence of this event or of the opening of the new school. What is recorded is that on 18 September 1911, the “old” school’s Roll Number 5382 was replaced by Roll Number 15033 of St. Teresa's National School.
So the evidence available indicates that 1911/1912 was the new school’s first year in operation. It cost about £1,000 to build and furnish.These original two classrooms, separated by moveable glazed partitions, now function as the school hall.
The new school was no sooner opened than overcrowding became an issue. However, it was not until 1932 that an application for an additional classroom was made. The Falvey family were the builders of this classroom as well as a corridor linking the three classrooms. At this time, a water supply on tap was also installed. A full report on the celebration to mark this extension was carried in the Kerryman newspaper dated 6 July 1940.
Electricity was installed in 1952, the school being wired by John Neenan, Laccamore and Dan Shanahan, Castletown.
In 1963, a fourth classroom was added and the corridor was extended. It took two years to build this extension.
In 1966, oil-fired central heating was installed.
In 1997, the front corridor was demolished and rebuilt to accommodate indoor toilets, staffroom and office.
In 2004/2005, three classrooms were built at the rear of the school on additional land purchased from the Weir Family. The original two-roomed school became the school’s hall. The total cost of the project was in excess of €770,000. This extension was officially opened on 21 October 2005 by the then Minister for Education & Science, Mary Hanafin.
2013 has seen the construction of an all-weather pitch, an additional classroom, special education room and two stores.
Kilflynn School 1911
Kilflynn School 1970's
Kilflynn School 2005
Kilflynn School 2013
All-Weather Pitch, 2013
Tel: (066) 7135633
All Rights Reserved Scoil Treasa Naofa 2013 Web Design: